Friday, September 2, 2011

Read Aloud Challenge- Pioneers and sailboats

We have done quite a bit of read aloud this week.  I am so proud!  We have family visiting this weekend, so we ended up doing more then I thought we would.

Bop is doing Ambleside Online this year (I know, I need to update my curriculum plans for you all, and I will!  I promise!) so that means that we do several read alouds a day for her school.  This covers history, geography, literature and natural science.  I am not going to list all of the books that we use for this, since we only read one chapter a week from each one.  I will mention one of our favorites, though.  :)


Paddle-to-the-Sea (Sandpiper Books)
Paddle to the Sea
Bop loves this book already!  However she is disappointed that we are only reading one chapter at a time.  It is great, though, because she is really remembering each chapter well.  For those of you who don't know, Paddle to the Sea is a book about a little wooden boat who sails from a snowbank high in the Canadian mountains, all the way to the Atlantic ocean.  This is our first geography book for the year, and it shows through literature how water runs downhill; from small trickling streams, to lakes and great rushing rivers, and finally to the ocean.



Little House in the Big Woods Book and Charm (Charming Classics)Little House in the Big Woods
This is another one of our Ambleside Online books, only this one is a free read book, so it is a TRUE read aloud.  We read as much as we want whenever we want.  This series of books holds the most memories for me.  I can remember my mom reading these books to us over and over again, and I still remember when we first got the set as a gift.  I am absolutely loving reading them again, and so far Bop and CJ are enjoying them just as much as we did.





Time of Wonder (Picture Puffins)

Time of Wonder
This is CJ's unit study for now.  We are taking this one casually.  No time limits, no schedules, some days we do it and some we don't.  It is a charming book by the well-known author of Blueberries for Sal and Make Way for Ducklings.  So far we have read it a few times, but not really done much more.  If we don't ever get around to it, oh well.  This is kindergarten take two, and this time we are just enjoying it.  :)





The Very Hungry Caterpillar

This one needs no introduction.  :)  We got this for Baby Girl's birthday because we (Shock!) didn't have this classic in our home library!  She loves this book, so I thought I would share a little video clip of her reading it to her baby doll.  She likes all of the book except the very end....




3 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of wonderful books. Thanks for letting me peak into your blog. I came from the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those are all fabulous! Love Robert McCloskey. You've inspired me to put that title on hold at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. Sailboat Paradise

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...