Friday, June 25, 2010

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God...

As I look over my list for the day, I realize, once again, that I must have thought I was having a 48 hour day. When the first light is peeking over the horizon and the children are still all sleeping quietly, the day always seems to hold such promise. "Surely I can get the rest of the corn (10 rows) planted this morning before it gets hot. And I need to get the kitchen cleaned up and the dishes washed before I head out. If I spend just five minutes in each room picking up before the kids wake up, I will have a head start.... I think I need a list."



While I am sorting laundry, I suddenly realize I need to move the water in the garden. So out we all go. As I pass by my hoe, I decide to make another corn row. I have 8 more to go, so if I do a few at a time...

I feel a hand tugging at my side and look up. There she is, my baby, holding up her tiny hand saying one of her rare words, "-and! -and!" She is asking me to hold her hand. So I take it for a few minutes, and then see my hoe laying there... I need to finish that row.

Suddenly Bop runs up, "Mom! Mom! Baby Girl is going to get lost in that corn field!" I dash to the edge of the growing corn and see her little head peeking over the plants 50 rows away. "NOOOOO!!!" I yell, "You stay out of the field!! Bad girl!!"

After fetching the child and herding everyone back inside, I remember that I had better go pay that rent before they all leave the office for lunch.... oh, lunch. What are WE having for lunch today? I don't know, but I need to put away those dishes on the counter before I can make anything. At least my sink is shiny. :)

Whew, got those dishes put away, now I think I will check my e-mail to see if there is any news from the Review Crew. Oh, no I haven't wrote a blog for 5 days! I had better think of something to say...

...Why are there still clothes on the couch??? I thought I did that- oh, that's right I stopped to move the water... (which by now, needs moved again.) After sorting through about half a load of laundry, I remember the rent.... OK kids we HAVE to leave! Head for the truck!

Where are CJ's shoes? I see one tennis shoe... Oh there is a boot... "Why don't you ever have two shoes that match? If you take them off at the same time, and put them in the same place, you won't...." never mind, I have been saying that for three years now.

While herding all the kids to the truck I remember that I STILL don't know what we are having for lunch... quasadillas, that will work.

After I pay the rent and we are all safely back inside the house (Don't forget to lock the door, the little boy we babysit knows how to escape.) I start getting out dinner. "Cheese, tortillas, butter- look the computer screen is on! I was writing a blog post! Well, I had better finish that before it gets messed up by one of the kids."

...And here I am.... :)





This is not a real account of what happened here today. (No, nothing like this would ever happen to me...at least not all on the same day. )

This was actually inspired by a couple of articles I read while we were traveling home from my parent's house this weekend.

Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?...

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:31 and 33

This verse has been running over and over in my mind as I seek to prioritize my days. No matter how unplanned we are, we all prioritize. If we do the laundry and neglect to rock our babies, we have unthinkingly chosen our priorities.

Seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God... not just a small devotional in the morning, not a quick prayer before meals. SEEKING is something that happens all day long. And where does it go on our 'list'? FIRST.

This does not mean we spend all of our time reading scriptures, or that we neglect our children to pray. It means that God's kingdom is FIRST in our hearts and always on our minds.

What will happen if we do this? ALL THESE THINGS will be added unto you. What things? What are you striving for in your life? A clean house? Perfectly manicured children? Delicious dinners? This is a promise, if you will SEEK FIRST the kingdom of God, ALL these things will be added unto you.

God wants us to leave our cares and worries with him, and STRIVE no more, trusting that his yoke is easy and his burden is light. Trusting that he can and will give you the desires of your heart, if only you will SEEK him first.

3 comments:

  1. I had fun reading your post and agree that things always go better when we put first things first! One of my favorite ideas is 'good, better, best'. Satan can get us so busy doing the 'good' things that we run out of time for the better or best things we could do with our time. I needed the reminder to check my priorities today - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I loved the little example at the beginning, almost made me wonder if I need to drive over there right now and help you out(although, you would still probably like that :) I try to have God as a major part in my day, but sometimes it is easier to just push him aside and focus on what I want to do(not even NEED, just WANT). Keep up the amazing work and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so good, Michelle. You have your mother's talent for writing. Thanks for the reminder - Seek ye first the kingdom of God - just what is that exactly? No matter, I need to work on seeking God first and let Him take care of everything else and then it will be perfect. I really need to work hard on this! Appreciate your good thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...