Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Gratefulness in a greedy world

I have bad days.

Really.  You know, a wonderful friend told me something that really stuck with me.  We were discussing how another mom was so gentle with her children and I wished I was always like that.  She said to me:

"We are all the same.  We all want to yell at our kids.  We all do yell at our kids sometimes."

So I know that you have bad days too.  We all do.  The other day I was so upset that I was ready to cry.  I wanted to take off for a vacation where the houses are clean, the laundry is done, and there is always food on time.  But, of course, barring a cruise or resort, that is not going to happen!

Why was I so upset?  My house is always messy.  Always.  Even when I think it is clean, it is dirty compared to someone else's.  Those "someone else's" don't have little ones under their feet all day long, but still.... with a little more work, my house should look like theirs, right?

My laundry was behind, and my husband was running out of clothes.  My dishes were in the sink instead of the dishwasher, I was out of bread, and the last thing I wanted to do in my messy kitchen was BAKE.  My kids were being lazy, disobedient, and grumpy.

I can come up with amazingly long lists of why I have bad days.  But here is one wonderful reason why I am having a GREAT day.

While I am at home in my (warm) messy house with my (healthy) lazy, disobedient, grumpy children-

-There is a mother in Haiti watching her child die on the side of a dirty road with no one to help, no one to hug, no one to even know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...