Friday, January 1, 2016

Back to the Classics Challenge

I'm taking the Back to the Classics challenge this year. It was shared on the AmblesideOnline forum and seemed like fun. Most of the books were something I was wanting to read anyway, while a few of the categories will make me search for something outside of my usual reads. Which is the fun part! 



1.  A 19th Century Classic - Three Men in a Boat. Short, funny, something I've been wanting to read. 


2.  A 20th Century Classic - Lord of the Flies. A book I feel like I should read, not really looking forward to it. 


3.  A classic by a woman author. Kristen Lavransdatter. All three if I have time and find them.


4.  A classic in translation.  Not sure... maybe Beowulf, although I am not excited about the idea. 


5.  A classic by a non-white author. Ideas please? 


6.  An adventure classic - Treasure Island, a Sir Walter Scott, or something else I decide on later. 


7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. The Return of the King or Brave New World.


8.  A classic detective novel. Probably the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, because it's a book I have in hard copy and I haven't read any of his books. 


9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  Undecided. 


10. A classic which has been banned or censored. Probably To Kill a Mockingbird. I have never read this book before, and I feel like I'm behind the times since it's a high school standard. 


11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  Probably Pride and Prejudice. I didn't read many classics in high school, but I read this and didn't really like it. Maybe my tastes have changed.


12. A volume of classic short stories. No idea. I haven't even looked into this category. It's fun to leave them open, it's like a wrapped present, so many options! 

1 comment:

  1. You have some good ones there. I didn't mind Lord of the Flies & preferred it to Brave New World. Kristen Lavransdatter keeps cropping up & if I ever find a copy of her books I'll read them but I'm reluctant to buy any more books - well, not truly reluctant; just trying to be sensible.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...