Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rising Early

She riseth also while it is yet night, 
and giveth meat to her household  
Proverbs 31:15a


I used to get up around 5:00 every morning.  I would fix hubby a warm breakfast and pack his lunch, clean the kitchen, make sure school was ready for the day, and start a load of laundry.  And spend some time with my Lord.

Well, lately it has been closer to 7:00 every morning when I rise, and that is when the kids get up too.  This started because my husband got a new job and doesn't leave as early.  But it has continued because... well, to be honest, like most mothers with little ones, I like to sleep.  Even though my youngest is 2 1/2, I still regularly get interruptions in the night, whether for a glass of water, take someone to the potty, or bad dreams.  But lately sleeping in has become, in stead of a luxury, more of a bad habit.

Yesterday, for some reason, (maybe it's the lengthening days) I woke up at 5:00 and got out of bed at 6:00.  My, what a difference!  I felt energetic from the start.  I did several things around the house before the kids got up, then while they had breakfast I sat down and wrote a review for tomorrow.  I was all done with that early and it is a LONG one.

Put simply, I was amazed at how easily I had gotten used to sleeping later, and what a difference it made to get up even a little earlier.  Many people say that there are only 24 hours in a day, but rising earlier can give you and extra hour or two all to yourself!  What a treat for a busy homeschooling mama with several "ankle-biters", as Kevin Leman would say.

And the best part?  Nothing can replace time spent alone with God, to pray, meditate and prepare for the day.  This is the best way I have found to live each day on purpose.  If you start each day with eternity on your mind, how can you help but raise your children with the big picture in front of you?


2 comments:

  1. I truly treasure my early morning hours! I must admit, it'd be nice if I could sleep in to 5:00 or 6:00!! LOL Insomnia's frustrating. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to get up early every day and I just loved it. It was a spiritual renewal for me. That time allowed me to fill my cup, and be prepared with all the patience necessary to get through the day. I had encouragement and support for my husband, and plenty of wisdom for my teens. With the baby keeping me up most nights now, I'm not getting up early at all. It is really weighing on me. I had forgotten that verse you used in this post. I think I'll print it out and keep it next to my bed to remind me about what I'm called to do, and how I'll have boundless energy if I'm doing the work he has planned for me. Thank you for this post! Janeen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...