Thursday, August 26, 2010

Do you Know What an Entomologist Is?

en·to·mol·o·gy
(nt-ml-j)n.The scientific study of insects.


I may be raising future little entomologists here... they all three love bugs. Bop is scared of spiders, but they enjoy catching crickets to feed to the salamanders. (Yes, we have salamanders... we caught them in our basement when it flooded. )

Well, for my little entomologists, guess what we got in the mail today?? A gift from my friend over at HomeschoolShare:


Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches


11 by warmfuzzies, on Pix-O-Sphere111 by warmfuzzies, on Pix-O-Sphere


They are babies, only about 3/4 of an inch long. My husband said "Quick! Squish them!" But, of course, I didn't. I made them a nice little home in a plastic shoebox. They will have to get something a little roomier as they grow... and grow they will! I read that they will get anywhere from 2-4 inches long. How FUN!

In case you are worried about my sanity, these cockroaches are tropical, non-invasive herbivores. What does that mean? It means they will not escape and take over my house. They will not become pests, since they would die as soon as it got cold. And, they do not carry any diseases since they eat only fresh plants. They like carrots, apples, lettuce... they are regular little vegetarians.

And the kids are delighted. :)

Hey, maybe they will have babies later, to feed to the salamanders!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...